devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Call for Papers: "ApacheCON: Core" in Budapest October 1-2 2015.
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2015 20:35:24 GMT
I'll try to condense it and factor into the abstract (with the 9k chars
available)
Some argue (not totally unjustified) huge Enterprise Portals are becoming
less important these days and the likes of Angular or Node.js work well for
many cases previously covered by big enterprise systems, either .NET or
Java EE. There is a point and if we support JSON natively those JS (where
it came from) solutions are probably a good thing to try include.
BrowserMap does not seem like a full JavaScript client or reusable API to
embed in a JS app on the server side.

However, I had a long call with the JSR 362 (Portlet 3) project whose RI is
under Apache Portals/Pluto too btw. Earlier Portlet standards also included
JSR 188, http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/index-155691.html
Talking about the notion of a "Device" or similar object allowing to tell a
portal which device the browser is running on would offer synergies with
DeviceMap, too. JSR 188 is pre Java 5, so the API looks pretty archaic,
maybe if the Apache Portlet project (RI) has some ideas beyond this JSR, it
would allow using DeviceMap.

Thanks,
Werner