devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Reza Naghibi <r...@naghibi.com>
Subject Re: Call for Papers: "ApacheCON: Core" in Budapest October 1-2 2015.
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:32:44 GMT
I think its best to try and expand the horizons a bit. Server side device
detection is an alright use case, but thats kind of in the past and its
likely dead/dying. I think that most of devs are now just doing pure
browser responsive css. I talk to very few people starting a new project
based on device detection in 2015. My last 3 products were all responsive
css, so that kind of says something. Also, given that browsers are
supporting src sets and evolving device support everyday, this isnt a good
vertical for us to position in. See my browser detection comment below.

So here are a few things which are very relevant and devicemap can do
really well:

Analytics. This is a huge huge use case. Being able to batch classify
traffic by device means a lot of things. It give you a sense of what
devices are out there, the value of the device tells you something about
economics of the users, etc. Being able to churn thru millions of devices a
second means that you can quickly and easily analyze lots of data. This is
pretty much standard analytics.

Browser detection. This is something that is now going to be more important
since browsers are getting better and better at normalizing for devices.
Your code now needs to worry about the browsers.

2.0 domains. In 2.0, we are making classification generic, so people can
introduce their own detection domains. This really expands what this
project means and what you can accomplish. We will support lots of
different languages, so you can now use your domain across a large
ecosystem of clients. Js support is a big one.

Im just concerned that aligning ourselves to device detection in 2015 kind
of does our work a disservice...