devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Volkan Yazıcı <volkan.yaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Crowd Sourcing Data
Date Wed, 06 May 2015 10:52:54 GMT
Hi all,

For the last couple of weeks I had time to add new devices to our data
repository. In this pursuit, I was disappointed to see that the very same
"organized" data exists in multiple locations on the web (some proprietary,
some public accessible). One such candidate that took my attention
particularly is Wikipedia. It provides really decent and up-to-date
information for various devices. (See
Category:Android_(operating_system)_devices
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Android_(operating_system)_devices>.)
As far as I am concerned, no individual group can keep up with the speed of
masses, where Wikipedia is a common representative example of this claim.
So I want to startle a discussion for the following scheme.

   1. Organize existing data on Wikipedia to form a certain structured
   device tree anthology. For this purpose we can employ particular section
   names (custom wiki syntax?) to represent parent/child relationship.
   2. Move all existing device data to Wikipedia in a certain structured
   form.
   3. Write a crawler/script to translate data into DDR format.
   4. Expose daily DDR snapshots.

I believe, by following such a scheme, we can just focus on the structural
organization issues and client development, and take advantage of the
community for the improvement of the repository. Getting in touch with
Wikimedia Foundation to create a separate Wikimedia project for this
initiative is also an alternative and aligned approach.

Long story short, DDR is increasing as it has never been in the past. And I
anticipate this trend to exponentially climb up in the future.
Particularly, more and more players are joining to the market with the
availability of custom mobile devices on top of cutting-edge silicon
hardware, e.g., OnePlus <https://oneplus.net/>. Hence, crowd sourcing such
an effort will bring us a huge benefit and relief.

Comments?

Best.