devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DeviceMap article on Informatik-Aktuell (DE)
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:23:00 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.informatik-aktuell.de/entwicklung/programmiersprachen/apache-devicemap-repository-fuer-mobile-geraeteerkennung.html

thanks for sharing this - my German is somewhat limited but I think I
got the gist of it, I have two comments:

"Fast zeitgleich mit der Entstehung des OpenDDR-Projekts machte man
sich in der Apache Foundation ähnliche Gedanken und evaluierte
verfügbare Open Source-Lösungen. Diese Evaluierung befand OpenDDR als
das vielversprechendste Projekt und im ersten Halbjahr 2012 wurden
neben dem W3C konformen Device Repository Java- und .NET-Clients von
OpenDDR als Initial Contribution zur Verfügung gestellt [3]. "

IIUC this means that the ASF evaluated various open source solutions
and selected OpenDDR as the basis of DeviceMap.

If yes this is not correct - the ASF has no technical strategy and
does not select things. It's the initial DeviceMap committers who
decided to accept the initial OpenDDR code donation.

It's a subtle but important difference - the ASF only exists to
provide a space for its projects to exist, but does not make any
technical decisions on behalf of its projects. There's lots of
misunderstandings in our audience about this, so it's good to help
make that clear as often as we can.

Apart from that it feels like that article contains a good deal of
WURFL bashing - let it be clear that Apache DeviceMap does not support
such things. In this case it's fine as IIUC it's clear that the
article is your own.

-Bertrand