devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] SVN, versioning, and namespace
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:19:59 GMT
Yes,

Though they were not released there are nevertheless a number of examples.
All currently under the "org.apache.devicemap.examples" namespace (which is
what many projects do, Sling or DeltaSpike included)
At leasts the 2 instances running on URLs like
http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/dmap-spring/ match 2 of these exampe
projects.

Whether  or not there was a different structure, since they were not
officially released yet, we seem free. I don't see great harm in the
/tags/examples tag as mentioned. It marks a stable RC1 snapshot of what
could become a joint "examples-1.0.0" release. Unless we prefer to further
disect them, but that does not make a 1.0-RC1 worthless. It matches what
runs on the VM for example;-)

With few exceptions btw, the 0.x version space was for incubating projects.
Hence and since others like Browsermap (or the W3C impl) had a longer
history some version numbers were already higher before graduation.

Generally the idea of a "sandbox" similar to DeltaSpike, Tomcat or Tamaya
sounds worth exploring.
This would be an area for 0.x kind of artifacts. And "playground". I am not
sure, if it was a good idea to have an entire branch for that, but open to
ideas.
Earlier efforts like the Sling demo Radu worked on some while ago could be
good in such "sandbox" (at JavaMoney we called it "shelter" inspired by the
"Adopt-a-JSR" program and there's been some great progress in such a
sandbox, e.g. Groovy support, Digital Currencies, etc.)

Werner