devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ruby client and optimized data
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:30:30 GMT
Hi,

Good news. just follow the thread in the issue tracker, Konstantin replied
there, he would be happy to donate his project "device_map" into a matching
place at DeviceMap if his contribution was welcome (and at least the PMC
also voted on this I assume) Since it's been at least 3 years now, that we
did this from the OpenDDR side as a large chunk to the initial codebase,
and I was not the only OpenDDR contributor involved in administrative
matters, I asked him to get in touch with Bertrand who also helped with
this before.

He already licensed everything under Apache 2, that might make the review
or IP clearing process by relevant legal team easier, than e.g. with the
different licenses OpenDDR used.

If succesful, it would not only win another contributor/committer or even
PMC member (depending on what qualifies those who donate for either role)
but add Ruby to the list of supported languages. Especially in the Social
Media Start-Up scene around the world I know first hand, it is still of
great importance. 2006 it even scored "Programming Language of the Year",
see http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html.
It had its ups and downs, but still remains in the Top 20 list, and taking
just "Web or Mobile relevant" languages out of these, I'd say it must be
still in the Top 10.

Cheers,
Werner