devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bol.com Hackathon
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:37:59 GMT
Volkan,

How did your hackathon go?

To progress with the already approved committer role (and you also pointed
out here e.g. under 5., that some patches and fixes you offered were not
followed-up for reasons we we know from other threads)

A lot of the GitHub project sounds exciting and as long as you're the sole
contributor or hold all IP you'd be able to contribute appropriate
improvements to DeviceMap. Maybe already advanced enough for a 2.x branch;-)

About the Java 8 dependency, that's up to what others think. I know Java 7
and even 6 is still widely used, so despite Oracle and some JUGs heavily
pushing for everyone to use only SE 8 now, reality looks different here,
too, and "legacy" doesn't always just vanish even if a new version or two
are available and may even work better for some cases.

The other dependencies, we discussed Lombok earlier, I can't say if it
makes sense, but unless there is a complete license no-go with Apache for
some reason, either of them could be fine. Guava inspired Java 8 a lot,
e.g. Optional etc. existed there before (so one could use
com.google.common.base.Optional
in a Java 6/7 version of the same code and in a Java 8 branch stick to the
SE 8 native one java.util.Optional)

What is the preferred Apache user name you would like to use?
Just "vy" like on GitHub, if there's no minimal length, it might work,
otherwise what do you prefer?

Thanks,
Werner