devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Ruby client and optimized data
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 22:55:05 GMT
Guys,

Since I have barely ever touched Ruby code myself (there are so many other
languages not just on the JVM, nobody has to do everything at once, at
least not in a proper team where members try to work together instead of
against each other;-) I asked the author of the Ruby port and that's what
he responded:

Hi Werner

Thank you. This gem contains necessary Device Data files.
https://github.com/soylent/device_map/tree/master/lib/resources

When new version of Device Data is released, I simply update these resource
files, run tests, and release a new gem version. There is no need to
download Device Data files separately because I can just provide them
together with the gem. And its size in this case is only 119 KB.

During gem installation I also parse and generate “optimized” device data
files for later use. This improves performance significantly since we don’t
need to parse the XML files every time during initialization.

---
I know, at least Eberhard and I discussed a similar form of optimization he
tried at least against pre-DeviceMap OpenDDR XML files by putting them into
a NoSQL DB. So far it remained a theory for DeviceMap like many other ideas
or discussions. As you see some folks outside the core project (and ASF) do
these things already. And as a side-effect should "Reza's data" aka 2.x
break their code, the Gem is still valid for the most recent 1.x release
available.

Some commercial vendors also mention products and services where the
repository runs in e.g. SQLite, the same system Android also comes with.

Great to hear. Similar to e.g. Browsermap it runs on its own Travis CI
instance so the green bar on the project page shows, everything is in
order.I'm not sure, if Konstantin saw value in contributing any of that to
DeviceMap. It can't hurt to ask, Again, please speak up if you constantly
code in Ruby, at least a license change would not be necessary as his code
already is under Apache;-)

Werner