devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Marketing material approval votes?
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:28:30 GMT
Just on the web technology an important statement from several codemotion
talks I heard in Rome was, that especially Google likes to completely throw
over their own exiting projects and Open Source efforts. Shutting down
Google Code is only a side-effect. AngularJS (something to consider aside
from JVM or other programming languages btw.) 2 will be a drastic breach
with existing Angular 1 and force significant rewrite of exiting code. As
well as re-learning a lot by people working with it right now.

Many Apache projects are well-respected and trusted as foundations of
business-critical apps, not just the Web server that started it all. So
nobody keeps us or other projects from creating several branches, but
unlike the Googles (or WURFLs) we should not throw everything away that was
there or even hide it from existing users.

As for the migration from OpenDDR to DeviceMap it may not yet give the same
number of results in GitHub (12 repositories for "OpenDDR", 5 for
"DeviceMap") but aside from mostly contributions by Radu, there's this
Clojure port/wrapper: https://github.com/timgalebach/clj-devicemap I am
listed for Clojure, when I can I'll give it a try, but especially for
more/new languages we may try to gather support by those who use a language
in question more than some of us. E.g. compared to Java, Groovy or some
.NET I also don't have as many lines of code in say Clojure or Scala under
my belt as others.

Werner