devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attribute spec 2.0
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 09:37:42 GMT
Hi,

Apache Wiki is unbearable slow, so let me add a few thoughts here first. I
doubt with the bad performance of the Wiki I'd be able to edit them there
at least not before my flight.

- display_width or _height.
I would not bake the name of a unit into the attribute, but similar to CSS (
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#absolute-lengths) we could add such
information to our attribute. Either in one field or as a value/unit pair,
which could make retrieving the numeric part easier.

If UA info allows it, having knowledge of the browser's HTML capabilities
would be nice. Either someting like "supports_html5" or a "html_version" at
least as optional attribute sounds good. I also have slides about HTML5 in
Rome, as of now, knowledge if a device supports HTML5 or not, is up to a
particular solution.

- is_phone I would say this is important. It tells less about the size or
form factor of the device, but IMHO simply states, if you can make a phone
call with this device or not. It may be exotic, but some web apps or sites
offer special "call this number" buttons. Android also does I believe, so
tweaking such feature based on the device being a phone or not sounds good.

Cheers,
Werner