devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Reza Naghibi <reza.nagh...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: DeviceMap 2.0 and beyond
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2015 19:24:38 GMT
Also, I mentioned this before, but here is my proposed release schedule again:

-Jan 2015, device data 1.0.2
-Q2 2015, device data 1.0.3
-Q3/Q4 2015, device data 2.0, clients 2.0

So even though 2.0 is a second half of the year thing, it's important to start laying the
groundwork soon. This is why I'm planning on start on said groundwork next week.

DeviceMap 2.0 and beyond </div><div>
discussed this in the past, but I would like to consolidate the discussion since work for
2.0 will begin very soon, likely next week.

So there are 2 main goals for 2.0:

-Redo, improve, and clean up the data file format.

-Split the device data into 3 separate, but related domains: device, operating system, and
browser.

So I would like to talk about the second point. First, splitting classification across 3 separate,
related, and independent domains is going to be a huge win and a large step forward. Users
will have the ability to classify against a single domain or all 3. The patterns for all 3
have no interdependence. But together they give us a more clear picture regarding the user
agent.

Maintaining the data will also become much easier. Browser and os are very important domains
and evolve at a much slower pace than the device domain. So this is a classic case of separation
of concerns. This is almost always a win.

Finally, the future, post 2.0. As this project evolves more towards generic classification
using patterns, this opens us up to new domains outside of user agents. One in particular
is web security. A url security domain can be used to apply security rules to a website with
security pattern patches applied in a near real time fashion (simply push out a data update).
This gets me very excited, especially given the current state of web security and open source
options for http request classification. There are many other domains out there as well.

So as usual I'm keeping this brief. However, im very excited to dive into 2.0. I think the
potential is huge for this project.