devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Volkan Yazıcı <volkan.yaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Collecting Specs for UAs
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 09:23:11 GMT
Hi all,

The entire UA collection tickets (DMAP-94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 100, 102) I have
submitted to JIRA are being marked as NeedsSpec, which is fine. In the
explanation, I am being told that I need to collect the following
properties for each UA:

   - id
   - vendor
   - model
   - marketing name
   - resolution-x
   - resolution-y
   - pixel-density-ppi
   - release-year
   - default-os
   - hardware

I have some questions regarding these properties:

   - How other people collect this sort of information? Is there a certain
   set of steps that I can follow? I was considering writing a crawler on top
   of a web-based proprietary UA resolver, would that be ok considering the
   licensing issues?
   - Is there scheme am I supposed to follow for the *id* attribute? Or
   something descriptive would be just fine?
   - *resolution-x/y* means the width and height of the screen in pixels,
   right?
   - How do we calculate *pixel-density-ppi*?

Best.