devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Separate "Console" from Java Client
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 15:13:44 GMT
If someone gained shell access to a server they don't need to use the Web
interface (which normally should respond to foul-play or DOS attempts by
refusing connections anyway) They also don't even need root or sudo rights
here. As Open Source files can be found publicly available so knowing the
source a simple batch/shell against the JAR would work without writing Java
code yourself.
At the moment DeviceMap may not be as widely deployed as Apache poster
children like Tomcat, etc. but it's visible and the command line
environment does not have the same security managers protecting the Web
container, so the JAR somewhere in most file systems (a "webapp" folder,
"tmp" or similar) could be used to script an attack.
Where the extra power (and some risk) of console access is desired by a
company they can add it, but it should be their choice, not pre-bundled
under the hood.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Reza Naghibi <reza.naghibi@yahoo.com.invalid