devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Collecting Specs for UAs
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 12:47:02 GMT
Volkan,

Glad, having at least one JIRA ticket you filed snubbed and closed instead
of (a very easy and working;-) applying the patch available did not
discourage you from trying to help;-) That sounds like a good idea, just
what do you mean with "proprietary UA resolver"?
If it's a commercial product, do you know its license or terms of use? That
depends on whether you may use the information at least without troubles
from that vendor (there's been some thoughts about UA data by e.g. the
WURFL guys but they later had to admit, that this and other COMMON
knowledge like the UA are now owned by anybody, at most the maker of each
device could claim some "ownership" since they also make the device itself
and software running on it;-)

It's been a long time, but I recall Bertrand and others worked on some
JavaScript solution, @Bertrand/Radu is there something you could help
Volkan with?
Third party contributors like Wikimedia also gathered such information, but
I am not sure if they ever did share the information.
Pixel density and most other stuff seems best handled with JavaScript, see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16541676/what-are-best-practices-for-detecting-pixel-ratio-density

Again, maybe we have some building blocks, but as these were never released
(aside from Browsermap) I can't say for sure what is there and what may be
missing.
If we can avoid tie-in of commercial products, it would be best, that way
(as soon as you could be voted on as PMC member, assuming paperwork is
already processed by ASF?) you could also contribute to such scripted
solutions. Either improving what's there or writing something new.

If you're in Europe close enough to Germany and have no constraints to
travel (in June) unlike those Eberhard mentioned, I'm happy to file the DWX
proposal for a DeviceMap topic in  the  next few days. They said the "more
the merrier", thus a 2 or 3 person talk is fine. And showing not just the
Java pieces of software but e.g. something with JavaScript would be a
perfect match to the conference scope (it's more than just .NET or Java;-)

Thanks and Regards,
Werner