devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Why Open Standards Matter
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2015 16:48:42 GMT
Hi,

Just a brief note on standards, I may have mentioned it once or twice, but
to summarize it here aside from any particular project or case.

As a coincidence, the Oracle speaker who talks about "Why Open Standards
and Java EE matter"
on occasions like JMaghreb http://www.jmaghreb.io/en/schedule?d=3 is also
named Reza;-)

A large majority of all Apache projects are related to open standards,
whether it's protocol, formats or technologies like Java (EE) and standards
like Servlets, JMS and many others.

W3C standards are found everywhere, believe it or not, the XML Parser under
the hood of Reza's Classifier also uses several of them, mostly around XML
and DOM http://validator.w3.org/docs/install_win.html

Some are lesser known, e.g. Open Social (implemented by the Shindig
project) some very popular like HTML, CSS, etc. Neither of them are "bad",
"crap" or "legacy" either, even if it took them years or decades to
finalize. HTML 5 isn't even completely done yet. So with very few
exceptions all vendors and projects perfectly sticks to HTML 4 (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/cover.html#minitoc even the 4.0.1
recommendation is from Christmas Eve 1999, before the turn of the
century;-D)

I met people who contributed to the W3C DDR standard like Head of Open
Source at Facebook, James Pearce. He still follows the project on Twitter
and maybe with its own (PHP or similar) implementation, giants like
Facebook likely use these kinds of standards, too where pure HTML and CSS
are not enough.

For the same reason we should embrace and respect Open Standards where they
exist in this project, too. If unlike HTML or Open Social there is no real
move towards a W3C DDR 1.01 or 2 any time soon, then together
colaboratively, not just dictated and pushed by a single person we should
see, how we can improve it ourselves.

Regards,
Werner