devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please stop the negativity towards DeviceMap software
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 03:33:30 GMT
Reza,

You just ignore the bugs Volkan first discovered by sticking your head into
the sand. That won't solve the problem. Maybe you should get it out of the
sand that'll get some fresh air to it I hope;-)

As of now DeviceMap Classifier suffers from multiple bugs, those unveiled
so far seem related to a "shuffling" of device hierarchy you did earlier
(in very few cases after even bothering to ask or consult the other PMC
members) see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP-121 or
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP-120

Only https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP-119 can be viewed as
something that was around in OpenDDR data, but having more than one
reference to device Ids is not necessarily a problem, especially for
compliant W3C implementations since they are more tolerant in this case.
It's a voluntary project ever since, so maybe your Unit tests are broken,
or the classifier code. Especially for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP-121 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP-120 the data files show no
duplication, but both the initial entry and its alias
        <device id="SGP311" parentId="genericSonyEricsson">
            <property name="model" value="SGP311"/>
            <property name="marketing_name" value="Xperia Tablet Z"/>
            <property name="displayWidth" value="1200"/>
            <property name="displayHeight" value="1920"/>
            <property name="mobile_browser" value="Android Webkit"/>
            <property name="device_os" value="Android"/>
            <property name="device_os_version" value="4.1.2"/>
            <property name="dual_orientation" value="true"/>
            <property name="inputDevices" value="touchscreen"/>
            <property name="is_tablet" value="true"/>
            <property name="ajax_support_javascript" value="true"/>
            <property name="ajax_support_getelementbyid" value="true"/>
            <property name="ajax_support_inner_html" value="true"/>
            <property name="ajax_manipulate_dom" value="true"/>
            <property name="ajax_manipulate_css" value="true"/>
            <property name="ajax_support_events" value="true"/>
            <property name="ajax_support_event_listener" value="true"/>
            <property name="image_inlining" value="true"/>
            <property name="from" value="devicemap"/>
        </device>
        <device id="SGP312" parentId="SGP311">
            <property name="model" value="SGP312"/>
        </device>
were added by you in October.

So either the classifier cannot cope with it or the unit tests could be
wrong. Why this is covered by the Java 8 bug no idea, but blaming Oracle in
that case won't help, they will not change Java 8 just to make our Unit
tests go green again.

Kudos for Volkan, nobody bothered to set up a CI server instance that was
either routinely or accidentially disabled when DeviceMap graduated.

There should have been Jenkins sessions for Java 6, 7 and 8 at least once
those became available to Apache Infra, we lacked this sort of coverage,
which  is why Volkan only stumbled upon it almost by accident;-O

Saying "Everything is great", no problem exists or "It'll be gone and
nobody plans to use Java 8" with DeviceMap for the time being would be
wrong and naive.

Werner

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 4:14 AM, Reza Naghibi <reza.naghibi@yahoo.com.invalid