devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please stop the negativity towards DeviceMap software
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 04:21:12 GMT
Reza,

None of that helps users by brushing away issues. If you want to ignore
that bugs exist and ignore them by simply closing them without addressing
the actual issue, you're in some parallel Star Trek Universe where people
and companies who might use the project don't matter.

Volkan who proposed a couple of improvements both here in the mailing list
and on JIRA is ignored. Not sure, if he has not submitted his Contributor
Agreement (after all it's holidays, so maybe ASF also won't pick some
things up properly)

I agree maybe introducing this annotation library Lombok may not help us at
this stage, but all other suggestions especially on JIRA are valid yet
ignored even if see the Java 8 incompatibility they mean a problem for the
latest Java version and beyond (I am sure it'll fail with 9 Preview, too)

You volunteered to help as VP, yet some important tasks like having a
proper Jenkins in place were neglected ever since the project graduated.
Not sure, if that's still up to "Uncle Bertrand", but it seemed, most of
these should be taken care by the VP, at least ordering a Jenkins instance.
Most of that is not something PMC members can simply add a new Jenkins job,
etc. Building existing ones, sure, but we cannot change settings without
INFRA.

In fact, it was enabled, but it's broken, see
https://builds.apache.org/view/All/job/devicemap-java6/133/console

Nearby (alphabetically) DeltaSpike shows a huge number of build jobs,
against at least 15-20 different Weld versions (CDI RI) alone.
So having one in the case of DeviceMap against device-data 1.0.1 ("stable")
as well as 1.0,2-SNAPSHOT or similar would be the most natural thing.

And now that we know the JVM can affect behavior of at least some modules,
using Java 7 and 8 rather than 6 (which we could still keep in parallel)
would be more sensible.
You keep insisting the stable and mature W3C DDR implementation was
"legacy", but we build using a Java version that Oracle officially
decomissioned already and that even a vast majority of projects and
companies replaced with at least  Java 7 by now.

I hope instead of sticking your head into the sand (or elsewhere) you can
help the project with these necessary steps?

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 363 Co Spec Lead |
Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Apache Committer | Advisory
Board Member, DWX '15

Twitter @wernerkeil | @UnitAPI | @JSR354 | @AgoravaProj | @DeviceMap |
#EclipseUOMo
| #DevOps
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 4:58 AM, Reza Naghibi <reza.naghibi@yahoo.com.invalid