devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to get the DDRSimpleAPI source code? (was: Does the build work?)
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:33:22 GMT
Guess for the proposed update to a NOTICE file it is easier to have all PMC
members vote on that as a basis for W3C compliant artifacts that may follow
it;-)

Does "I don't care" mean, you would not vote or vote "N" on it, is your
vote here based on the notice text being sufficient from Apache's legal
understanding?

I think there is a certain number of customers especially those who use any
of the listed W3C compliant solutions (those passing that test, there
should be several more since 2008 also compliant) that may either no longer
be supported by that vendor (if they went out of business) or become too
expensive due to license "greed" (see the likes of WURFL;-) driving people
to look for alternatives. There are of course also a certain number of
OpenDDR users over the last 4 years who could switch to the new DeviceMap
data without significant changes to their own application code.

If the notice change proposal is likely to fail because NOBODY cares, I may
save my time. If some in the PMC (a simple majority, there is no veto as we
discussed earlier in other threads) agree, it makes sense to work on that.
And again this is as binding for any future W3C implementation even in
other languages we might want to support here as long as they need to use
an artifact from W3C. Should the WSDL file be used via say Apache CXF to
create Java bindings, ditto;-)

Werner

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org