devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to get the DDRSimpleAPI source code? (was: Does the build work?)
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:05:46 GMT
The JAR is the official Java distro of the W3C DDR API:
http://www.w3.org/TR/DDR-Simple-API/#sec-java-representation

There has always been a source repo, but other than in its Wiki they did
not point to it on the final page:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/drafts/api/simple/java/src/

It is licensed the same way
Copyright <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Copyright> © 2008
W3C <http://www.w3.org/>® (MIT <http://www.csail.mit.edu/>, ERCIM
<http://www.ercim.org/>, Keio <http://www.keio.ac.jp/>), All Rights
Reserved.
W3C liability
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Legal_Disclaimer>, trademark
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#W3C_Trademarks> and document
use <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-documents> rules apply.

W3C has the same license (maybe in different versions and updates over the
years) for all its standards and artifacts, see this one about DOM (which
is part of the JDK for over a decade)
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/Element.html
Pointing to http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/

Now unlike the "Spec" for DOM back in 2004, that for DDR did not explicitly
mention the "software license" but W3C has only one Software License:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231 which
hasn't changed since 2002, so from my experience in the JCP and other
similar groups that software license shall apply to "software" produced by
the W3C even if the particular WG forgot to update its "Spec" page with
"Software rules", it produced software, hence the W3C software license
applies to that software as it does to all other software artifacts the W3C
produced.

I assume the license of all W3C standards and APIs is clear and (unlike
Reza's draft) the W3C DDR implementation contains this
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/trunk/devicemap/java/simpleddr/NOTICE

Not sure if we should also point to the source repo (above), but the new
JAR contains every Java file for a class already, so even in the unlikely
event it would differ from the repo, the source in the JAR is the one that
counts and our implementation builds against this API.

Werner

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org