devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to get the DDRSimpleAPI source code? (was: Does the build work?)
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:45:27 GMT
I prefer b) and beyond the NOTICE file already there I'll draft a sentence
explaining they must have "overlooked" the explicit mention of a "software"
license but it is obvious, all software artifacts created by W3C must
follow the same "software license" even if their projects may not follow
the same structure as most Apache projects do;-)

The top of the codebase http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/drafts/api/simple/
is quite interesting, as it contains other bindings like Perl (that btw.
was the only one I noticed with a (C) other than W3C, so anybody writing
something for Perl would have to be more careful) a WSDL and similar
artifacts. No LICENSE file but again, W3C works and thinks differently, and
in other standard bodies like the JCP you also find some JSRs with a simple
pointer to a TXT or PDF document with the Spec License binding to that JSR
regardless what the source repository says or doesn't say.

a) would be extremely cumbersome and cause exactly the disruption and
fracture to the community some (especially Reza) feared a W3C DDR compliant
module would do to DeviceMap as such. It would force anybody who wishes to
provide a working and compliant W3C DDR implementation against the current
or future repository data to use all sorts of different places. GitHub,
RezaSoft.org (because this draft
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/devicemap/java/classifier_w3c_simple/
would naturally have to be hosted elsewhere, too if put on top current or
future versions of the Classifier/Client) or other "private" sites we
occasionally saw being used by some PMC members.

It would disfranchise a not very big Apache community (compared to some of
the "stars" with often Hundreds of committers;-) even further and irritate
users who want to download and use this even if the DeviceMap frontpage may
have a legitimate pointer to those. Technically I don't see a huge problem,
but ideologically it may soften the community, so I would prefer b)

WDYT?
Werner

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org