devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Should we implement the W3C DDR standard or not?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 16:34:12 GMT
As Bertrand suggested, please allow me to rephrase the question.

It's not necessarily about 2 or 3 Java clients (some may be W3C compliant,
others not) but the question, if DeviceMap wants to offer at least one W3C
DDR standard implementation for languages and platforms where this is
justified.

W3C itself offered support for at least Java, PHP, see
http://www.w3.org/2009/11/mobileOKPythia/ddr.html and (according to that
page) also other languages like Perl or C#.

One W3C DDR member MobileAware (they mostly do consulting and development
for Mobile solutions nowadays, while not offering device detection as such
it must clearly be used by their solutions under the hood) published this
description of their MIS implementation:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/drafts/api/MIS-DDRSimpleAPI/slide10.jpg
"is fully compatible with other compliant implementations" meaning where a
vendor like MobileAware, DeviceAtlas, MaDDR,... may shift their focus today
or (like WURFL;-) ask too much money for certain customers, they can easily
switch to DeviceMap and increase the user base which logically will
increase contributions of new device signatures or even full committers,
too.

Werner