devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Reza Naghibi <reza.nagh...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Data 2.0 and a frontend Javascript client
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 18:03:35 GMT
Yes, you are exactly right. A Javascript client. It would work exactly like all the other clients,
the algorithm would be exactly the same. We would just favor it using a more optimized pattern
domain to allow for faster download and lighter processing. Im thinking a few KB max.

      From: Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
 To: dev@devicemap.apache.org
 Sent: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:57 PM
 Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Data 2.0 and a frontend Javascript client

Hi Reza,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Reza Naghibi
<reza.naghibi@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> ...One in particular is a frontend Javascript client...

Just to make sure I understand correctly, do you mean a piece of
Javascript software that runs in a browser, downloads the current
DeviceMap device data set and uses that to classify the browser based
on its User-Agent?

If yes, I'd rather call this a "javascript client" as that could also
run server-side in environments like Node.js besides the very
interesting client-only setup that you suggest.

-Bertrand