devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we have a timeout until Monday please
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2015 06:09:45 GMT
On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 04:56:56AM +0000, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> You will note from Greg's reply that the incendiary approach is not exactly conducive
to a healthy community atmosphere. The first thing everyone needs to do is calm down and have
a nice weekend, the DeviceMap world will not end any time soon :-)

Right. Have a great weekend! We have lots of time. Think about your
interactions, and the community dynamic. A concern has been raised,
and there are lots who can provide some advice. I've got one:

One of the best suggestions that I have ever been given, was: don't
use a person's name.

If you are writing an email, or responding to a JIRA, or writing a log
message for a commit... if you find that you're putting somebody's
NAME into that message, then stop and rethink. In almost none of these
situations should you be addressing an individual.

This simple rule helps to separate your thoughts/commets on an
*individual* from those intended for the *project*.

Respond to the project, to technical inadequacies, bugs, etc. Bring up
problems. But leave the individual out of it.

Omitting names is a simple rule, that can go a long ways. I hope that
will help.

Cheers,
-g