devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Radu Cotescu <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: website prototype update
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:29:52 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

The CSS only makes the site looks nicer, but that's about it; changing the
CSS shouldn't take more than one hour with the current setup.

Things we'll not have if running the current Perl server-side templates,
without extending them:

   - SEO meta tags handling based on description and keywords defined with
   YAML front-matter in the posts' markdown files [3];
   - the ability to conditionally display the last n news posts on the
   first page, with a post excerpt (no need to display the full articles on
   the homepage) [4];
   - the ability to define a text-based data store like we have in the
   prototype for our members [5] (this is also used for nicely adding more
   context to the author of a news blog post [6][7], or for displaying the
   information on the Team page [8]); we could also use this mechanism for
   automatically generating download links for our releases;
   - a simple way to generate RSS feeds for our News section [9].

I guess there are other features as well, but the above are the more
important ones.

Cheers,
Radu

[3] -
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/whiteboard/devicemap-site-jekyll/_includes/head.html
[4] -
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/whiteboard/devicemap-site-jekyll/index.md
(starts at {% if site.categories.news %})
[5] -
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/whiteboard/devicemap-site-jekyll/_data/members/
[6] -
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/whiteboard/devicemap-site-jekyll/_layouts/news.html