devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Fw: ApacheCon North America returns to Austin
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:25:18 GMT
All,

Please see this announcement if some of you haven't already got it via
another project or role at Apache.

I spoke to the TAC team at ApacheCon Europe and at least individual
speakers from Europe like myself would not receive travel support for a
Trans-Atlantic trip. So if possible (and should he require support between
his home base and Austin that seems much more likely) Reza could step in.
I'll also see, if anybody from the old OpenDDR team (some of them US-based)
was happy to join DeviceMap. It was hinted to me shortly before ACE, now
that graduation was successful, maybe things get moving there, too.

It would be awesome to have a session at ApacheCon US, too, if it's within
the reach of those in America.

Cheers,

Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 363 Co Spec Lead |
Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Apache Committer | DWX 15
Advisory Board Member

Twitter @wernerkeil | @UnitAPI | @JSR354 | @DeviceMap | #EclipseUOMo |
#Java_Social
| #DevOps
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

*Gesendet:* Mittwoch, 26. November 2014 um 01:22 Uhr
*Von:* "Sally Khudairi" <sk@apache.org>
*An:* "announce@apachecon.com" <announce@apachecon.com>
*Betreff:* ApacheCon North America returns to Austin
>> this announcement is online at http://s.apache.org/60N

by Rich Bowen, ASF Executive Vice President

We just got done with ApacheCon Europe in Budapest last week -
http://apachecon.eu/ - and it's time to start thinking about ApacheCon
North America.

We'll be holding ApacheCon North America, April 13-17th, 2015, in Austin,
Texas. The call for papers is already open, at http://apachecon.com/, and
we are hoping that this event will represent the breadth of the Apache
Software Foundation projects.

Organize your community
The most important thing at this stage in the process is getting the Apache
community involved in this event. ApacheCon exists to unite our community,
get various projects to interact with one another, and bring new members
into our community. The best way to accomplish these goals is to ensure
that your project has representation at ApacheCon. Here are four specific
areas where we need the help of Apache project communities:

Track layout
We've found that the very best way to have a project well represented in
the content tracks is for someone deeply familiar with the project to craft
an ideal track schedule, and then solicit speakers for those sessions. This
has two immediate benefits.

First, it goes a long way to ensuring that the topic is covered with the
breadth that it deserves, rather than having a few random talks that cover
random esoteric parts of the technology, and ignore segments of the
audience that you most want to attract.

Second, it is very encouraging to first-time speakers. It's very difficult,
and very intimidating, to try to come up with a topic to speak about the
first few times. Seeing a list of proposed topics is the perfect way to say
to a new speaker that what they know about is worth them proposing to a
conference. "Hey, I could speak about that, and nobody would think it's a
stupid idea."

Speakers
Some talks require certain speakers. You know this a lot better than we do,
because it's your project. We need your help to go to those specific
speakers and encourage them to submit the specific talk(s) that you know
they'll shine at.

Reviewing and Scheduling
Once the talks have been submitted, we're going to need your help reviewing
them and building the schedule. To help with the review process, you'll
need to create an account in the CFP system (if you haven't already done
so) at https://identity.linuxfoundation.org/user and then email me -
rbowen@apache.org - with your username, so that I can get you added to the
review system. From there, you'll see a list of talks to consider, and you
can rate them according to how well you think they'll fit the conference.

Of course, if you specifically solicited those talks, then you'll quickly
mark them as "Strongly Accept" with a comment of "I solicited this specific
talk", and move on. (The CFP review interface is at
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/cfp-list if you already have an
account.) You can review talks from other topics/tracks, too, if you feel
that you have some domain knowledge.

Once the review process is complete, we'll select the talks that rate the
highest, and at that point we'll be back in touch with you to help us order
them correctly. Here, again, if you've already approached us with a layout
of your ideal content track, there's really nothing else to do. But if
there are other talks that made it in through the review process, we'll
need help.

Hackathons
A key benefit of ApacheCon is getting your developers together in one place
to work on things. We've got a a general hackathon area where you can
gather to work on bugs, features, documentation, or discuss thorny
community issues. (Don't forget to summarize your conversations back to the
mailing list for the people who can't make it!)

If you want to have a sponsored hackathon specifically for your project, we
can find room to make that happen. Just get in touch with me, and we'll
work out the details.

Talking before the event about what you'll be working on has a number of
benefits.

First, it gives people time to think about how they can contribute, and
plan accordingly.

Second, it encourages people to come in from the edges of the project to
participate more fully in the life of the community, because they can
select something that they're particularly interested in, and work on it in
company with the rest of the project members.

Using the ApacheCon wiki - http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/ - as a place
to work on your hackathon topics gives conference attendees an easy way to
find topics that they might be interested in, and connecting with the
community. If you don't have write permissions to the wiki, send me your
wiki username, and I'll get you added to the access list.

Sponsor
Your company uses Apache software every day. Perhaps you even contribute to
a project as part of your day job. ApacheCon is the best place in the world
for your company to show off their involvement in Apache, and to find new
talent to work on their products. Sponsorship of ApacheCon gives you a
platform from which to talk about what your company does, and gets your
company name recognized - and closely associated with Apache - by the
people that make the decisions in some of the most important places in IT.

If you'd like to sponsor ApacheCon, get in touch with me, and I'll get you
a sponsor prospectus, and help you select the sponsorship opportunity
that's right for you - whether that's the conference lanyard, an evening
reception, the conference bags or tshirts, or a booth in the exhibit hall.
There's something for every budget and level of exposure you're looking for.

Get the word out
You have the ear of your project community - both the developers and the
end users. We need your help telling them about this event. Right now, we
need you to tell them to save the date. Later on, we'll need you to be
telling them about specific talks that will be of interest to them, both
directly relating to your project and about other related projects that
they should know about.

Join the Community Development mailing list -
http://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html#foundation-community -
where we'll be posting suggested tweets, suggested things to share on
Facebook and Google Plus, and other suggestions for helping us get the
message to the communities where you have a more trusted voice than we do.

This is critical - it does no good putting together a great event, if
nobody comes. You know who needs to hear the message, and you know where
they hang out. A well-placed message by the trusted members of the
community is far more effective than a dozen mass emails from a stranger.

Come join us!
So, if you'd like to help us make ApacheCon a success, get onto the
Community Development list -
http://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html#foundation-community -
and on the #apachecon IRC channel on Freenode, and speak up. Tell us what
you can do, and we'll find a place for you to fit in.

= = =
NOTE: you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the
announce@apachecon.com distribution list. To unsubscribe, send email from
"Unsubscribe" in the subject line.