deltaspike-users mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Extended EntityManager
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:35:36 GMT
What container are you running on?
And do you need JTA or ‚just‘ resource local transactions?

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 17.04.2015 um 11:37 schrieb l.penet@senat.fr:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am actually trying to switch from "raw" Hibernate to JPA.
>
> I have the typical "keep the same entitymanager" during a scenario problem. IMHO, merging
huge collections of entities is a nightmare that is not worth the cost when you deal with
applications with a lot of business logic but few users and a low load. I fully endorse the
"entitymanager per request" pattern for application having high trafic, and so need to be
stateless, replicated, etc. but it does not appear to me to be the magic solution to all problems.

> With hibernate, I historically solved it with the "open session in view" pattern. It
is ugly when evaluated according to actual standards, but it works.

>    https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/OpenSessionInView
>
> When I tried to find the equivalent for JPA, I basically found
>
> @PersistenceContext(type=PersistenceContextType.EXTENDED)
>
> ...which could be a fit if I was using container managed datasources
>
> When digging the Hibernate 4.3.8 jpa implementation, I noticed that when I use application
managed EntityManager-s, they are all created with PersistenceContextType.EXTENDED, and that
this attribute is finally passed to :
> AbstractEntityManagerImpl base class constructor :
>
> 	protected AbstractEntityManagerImpl(
> 			EntityManagerFactoryImpl entityManagerFactory,
> 			PersistenceContextType type,  // TODO:  remove as no longer used
> 			SynchronizationType synchronizationType,
>
> and is just ignored. :-)
>
> On this blog (I like good authors ;-) ) https://struberg.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/is-there-a-way-to-fix-the-jpa-entitymanager/
, I found mention of Avaje, which could be a fit if it was more of a standard.

> I also fond on the net references to CODI, MyFaces Orchestra and Seam solutions to this
problem. Most of the type it was also indicated that Deltaspike is "the way to go". An affirmation
that is clearly also mine in general.
> However, I did not find a ready-to-use solution in the doc
>
>   http://deltaspike.apache.org/documentation/jpa.html#_extended_persistence_contexts
>
> I was a bit surprised, as some people stated that Seam code was to be merged in Deltaspike
not to find a turn key solution.

> Did I miss / misunderstood something ?
>
> This is not a blocking problem to me. I can just use plain hibernate or unwrapped jpa/hibernate
sessions and it will work... But I would like to understand. :-)