deltaspike-users mailing list archives

From Allen Cunningham <cunning...@olsdallas.com>
Subject Exception Control return flow
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 13:39:14 GMT
I am trying to use DS Exception Control in a new project. I recently
discovered that the method that fires the ExceptionToCatchEvent also
returns.

It may seem odd that I was surprised, but the example InventoryActions
class in the DS documentation doesn't return anything when the exception
occurs (which in fact won't compile). I had assumed that DS was doing some
magic to alter the return path. Now that I look at it closer it is obvious
- firing an event shouldn't change control flow.

Can someone confirm that the intent of Exception Control is to provide a
mechanism IN CONJUNCTION with some degree of normal exception handling?
What I mean by this is that it seems I need to either re-throw the
exception or return a null to the caller, then use DS exception handling to
handle it at higher levels in the call stack.

Don't get me wrong - I think this is super cool and it works very well in
my app! I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

Allen