deltaspike-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 06:12:14 GMT
With 'public' I meant that the main communication tool is the mailing list. There is a saying
"if it's not on the list, it didn't happen".

IRC is fine as backing channel, but there are different time zones etc. It's also not logged
(because freenode has a policy about not logging chats), thus other uses cannot simply search
some archive to find any old information.

It's perfect if you drop a few lines of mail explaining what problem/idea/feature you are
working on and add a pointer to some github repo.
But be aware that you must work alone on that gibhut repo or at least must _not_ accept patches/pull-requests
from non-committers. Otherwise you would not be IP clean. And since goog vs orcl (Harmony,...)
we _really_ care about that!

github is also a great tool, but it doesn't really strengthen the team collaboration spirit.
It's more fore the lone fighter who works on his own...

Maybe I should explain it another way what could happen:

Imagine you get a cool new feature which has a decent complexity. Say 45 classes and 25000
lines of code. And all that in one big merge-commit!
Compare that with work that evolves over a few weeks with 5 people working on it and adding
ideas. There would be much more understanding of the topic in the community and the quality
would also be much better at the end. There will also be much less overlapping with other
features in the project quite naturally...

LieGrue,
strub