deltaspike-dev mailing list archives

From Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: CDI annotations in OSGi
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:15:39 GMT
Exposing OSGi services to CDI should be portable, but the rest of what is in OSGi Weld isn't
so easy IMO, as it actually involves how the CDI container is booted, which doesn't have an
SPI in CDI. Mathieu can tell you more.

Note that we are also pursuing this as an OSGI spec (David and Martin in cc).

On 29 Mar 2012, at 23:21, Ales Justin wrote:

> This will be (or, actually, already is) part of Weld Core project.
> We just need to bump the version, as it requires some API changes.
> Then it will be part of our upstream.
>
> Dunno how Weld specific it is, but guessing it shouldn't be much.
> Hence it could make sense to turn it into DS component.
>
> -Ales
>
>> Has anyone seen this before?  Wonder if it might make sense as a DeltaSpike component.
>>

>> -David
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: David Bosschaert <david.bosschaert@gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: CDI annotations in OSGi
>>> Date: March 29, 2012 2:23:58 PM PDT
>>> To: dev@aries.apache.org
>>>
>>> FYI - something like this has also been implemented in the Weld-OSGi
>>> project: https://github.com/mathieuancelin/weld-osgi
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> David

 I think the CDI annotation model is a lot better in all ways than blueprint.

than a self-contained set of components with no relationship to anything outside the bundle
you need a way to consume osgi services from CDI components and expose CDI beans as services.
 I haven't seen a proposal on how to do this.

CDI.  The extension could easily export too, if you wanted.

 Should be illuminating for bridging OSGi and CDI:

to get this running and report on what I have found. Perhaps Charles can also comment on this
as he seems to be one of the drivers behind the efforts on the openejb side. I am not sure
if he watches this list. I will also ask on the openejb list.

to require the openejb bundle and you have to use an Activator.
an extender that finds the trigger (META-INF/beans.xml) and initializes the bundle accordingly.
on eclipse RCP bundles which is not good for a server deployment.