deltaspike-dev mailing list archives

From Boleslaw Dawidowicz <boleslaw.dawidow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Security and IDM for DeltaSpike
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:56:40 GMT
Hi,

As this is my first post on this list I will introduce myself shortly. At the moment I'm a
project leader of GateIn Portal (JSR 168/286 implementation). Like Shane mentioned I implemented
PicketLink IDM component which is mostly an API/SPI for Identity Management - users/groups/roles
related operations, LDAP and RDBMS storage support and etc. This project is currently used
by portal as it's core component and was partly reused by Shane in Seam Security. Recently
we were brainstorming about new iteration around IDM and Seam Security and he proposed to
bring this discussion here.

On my side here is recent attempt to shape minimal API/SPI having simplicity in mind:
https://github.com/picketlink/idm/tree/master/api/src/main/java/org/picketlink/idm/api
https://github.com/picketlink/idm/tree/master/spi/src/main/java/org/picketlink/idm/spi

Obviously I hope to get involved in DeltaSpike beyond scope of identity topic only :)

Bolek

On Feb 10, 2012, at 3:04 AM, Shane Bryzak wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to kick off a discussion around the security features for DeltaSpike.  Originally
we had planned to migrate Seam Security [1] to the PicketLink project [2], and combine it
with an updated version of PicketLink IDM [3] to create an all-round CDI-based application
security solution for Java EE6.  After a number of internal discussions, we decided that this
effort would serve the developer community much better if it were carried out under the DeltaSpike
umbrella.

> With that in mind, I'd like to introduce Bolek Dawidowicz (who has already joined the
DeltaSpike dev mailing list) who is the original author of PicketLink IDM (for anyone that's
confused about what IDM is, it stands for IDentity Management and simply means the management
of users, roles, groups etc within an application via a well defined API).  Bolek has already
done some initial design work on the API for PicketLink IDM 2.0 [4], which we are hoping to
leverage for DeltaSpike.

> I'd also like to kickstart a discussion on the more general security features of DeltaSpike.
 We've already discussed @Secured and @SecurityBindingType, however have not touched on any
of the other authentication and authorization APIs.  My proposal is to largely base the design
on Seam Security (code at [5]), which is already mature and proven, and provides a robust,
extensible API for users to plug in their own authentication and authorization logic, and
also integrates very easily with federated identity services such as OpenID, oAuth and SAML.

> At this stage we can keep the discussion on general terms, however I'm happy to delve
in deeper to any of the security APIs if anyone is interested in a more technical discussion.