deltaspike-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP discussion
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:44:08 GMT
On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Antoine Sabot-Durand
<antoine@sabot-durand.net> wrote:
> what about individuals like me ? Or about IP of code coming from other project ? In Seam
social, I get lots of services API binding from Spring Social (an ASL2 license project). I
there any issue about that ?

All code must be expressly licensed by its rightful owner to be
included in the ASF repo.  For code you write yourself, you simply
license it under your filed ICLA.  Anything else needs a software
grant OR a CLA of some sort and the intent that the contribution be
covered under that CLA.

The second sentence above is why a simple handshake agreement from Red
Hat is enough for me--their corporate CLA is already on file.  I lost
sight of that fact momentarily when I sent my last message on this
thread.

But back to the idea of code that comes, e.g., from SpringSource, yes,
we must obtain express license to the code itself, particularly when
it would take the form of an entire class.   Depending on a
compatibly-licensed third-party binary is of course no problem
whatever.

Thanks all for the constructive discussion,
Matt

> regards,
>
> Antoine SABOT-DURAND
>
> Le 15 janv. 2012 à 16:59, Mark Struberg a écrit :
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Thanks Matt for bringing this up! This is definitely something we must do before
thinking about a -incubating-0.1 release.

>> Btw, I'll now rename the version to reflect the incubation status .
>>
>> Mark Little from JBoss was the manager at RedHat/JBoss who was involved in preparing
the incubator proposal. But Shane and Jason for sure know whom to ping.