deltaspike-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP discussion
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:00:39 GMT
Hi all--we have worked through the issues with regard to Red Hat's
contributions to DeltaSpike.  Suffice it to say that regardless of
*copyright* ownership, Red Hat unquestionably has the authority to
*license* the relevant IP, and does so freely under its CCLA.  The
details of the dialogue with Red Hat are available on
deltaspike-private for those with access.

Thanks and happy coding,
Matt

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Marek Schmidt <maschmid@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 16/01/12 02:17, Matt Benson wrote:
>>>
>>> (sent once to Marius accidentally dropping the list)

Red

Apache

>>> That is my understanding, yes; ASF projects don't use code from
>>> anyplace unless its author expressly wants the code used in the form
>>> in which we wish to use it.  It's easy enough to see that the mere
>>> fact that a simple piece of code is under ASL2 could be construed as
>>> "enough," but again that's not my understanding of the "Apache
>>> spirit," if you will.  I will spend some more research on this
>>> tomorrow in case I (or anyone else) can demonstrate through ASF
>>> precedent that I'm being overly paranoid.
>>>
>>> Thanks all,
>>> Matt
>>>

>> um, and what about the CLA article 7?
>>
>> 7. Should You wish to submit work that is not Your original creation,
>>   You may submit it to the Foundation separately from any
>>   Contribution, identifying the complete details of its source and of
>>   any license or other restriction (including, but not limited to,
>>   related patents, trademarks, and license agreements) of which you
>>   are personally aware, and conspicuously marking the work as
>>   "Submitted on behalf of a third-party: [named here]".
>>

> Good catch.  I had quite forgotten about this clause.  Honestly, I've
> never seen this actually done; rather I've heard endless times that
> Apache committers should *not* submit contributions on another party's
> behalf but that those contributions should come through well-defined
> channels, usually issue trackers and/or mailing lists.  This would be
> another policy question to bring to the incubator general mailiing
> list.  In any event, "on behalf of a third party" still implies that
> third party's complicity.
>
> Matt

Jason for sure

need someone