deltaspike-dev mailing list archives

From Marek Schmidt <masch...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: basic decisions: test setup
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:58:45 GMT
On 12/16/2011 09:38 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Another round of discussion - this time about how to setup our unit testing and integration
testing.

> I think it's pretty much clear that we will gonna use Arquillian for all our tests. That
was also fundamental part of the incubator proposal.
> And instead of inventing yet another abstraction layer, I'd favour to just use Arquillian
and contribute all things we need to this project.
> So here a formal vote
>
> 1.)
>
> for using Arquillian as test integration framework.
>   +1 from me
>

> 2.)
>
> What do we like to use from the unit tests itself? TestNG or JUnit?
> JUnit has better Arquillian integration and TestNG is better for 'real world' projects,
because it allows to define test dependencies.
> So which one to take?

There is now org.jboss.arquillian.junit.InSequence annotation in
arquillian for use with junit, which I believe could be used for those
use cases where one would use TestNG test dependencies...

> But we should definitely only use 1 of the two exclusively!
>
> 3.)
> 'Integrated' tests vs 'Integration Tests'
> We have 2 options to test our projects
>
> 3.a.) create a full unit test in each module (e.g. deltaspike/core/impl) and add a profile
for each and every server (maybe we can trim this down with pom imports?).
> Then run the build with one after each other:
>
> $>  mvn clean test -Powb
> $>  mvn clean test -Pweld
> $>  mvn clean test -Powb-tc
> $>  mvn clean test -Pweld-tc
> $>  mvn clean test -Pgf31
> $>  mvn clean test -Pas7
> $>  mvn clean test -Ptomee
>
> This might pretty much blow up our poms...
>

> 3.b) create a full unit test in each module (e.g. deltaspike/core/impl) and add only
2 profiles directly ('weld' and 'owb' (probably resin later))
> Then add a deltaspike/test/base/core with the very basic parent stuff and 1 module for
each integrated container, e.g.