deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph VLcek <jvl...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Bikeshedding: rename the repository on github from core to deltacloud
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:51:48 GMT

On Apr 18, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Tomas Sedovic wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Deltacloud now has a presence on GitHub[1] and the intent is to use it for contributions
by accepting pull requests[2].

> The repository there is named "core" rather than "deltacloud" and I think it would be
better if we renamed it back.

> tl;dr: it's consistent with the rest of the world and not so hard if we do it now.
>
> (contrary to the email subject, I don't want us bogged down with lengthy discussions
here. A simple +1/-1 vote should be enough)

> Reasons for the rename:
>
> 1. In every other project anywhere (github, personal private repos, etc.) the repository
name corresponds to the project name.

> The tooling assumes this. When you `git clone https://github.com/deltacloud/core.git`,
the code will be in the `core` directory. Not `deltacloud/core` nor `deltacloud`.

> 2. It's easier to glance what the repository is about when one forks it on GitHub: `github.com/tomassedovic/deltacloud`
is more descriptive than `github.com/tomassedovic/core`.

> 3. People may mistakenly assume that the repository contains the Deltacloud API server
only, because when packaged, we ship deltacloud-core and deltacloud-client on RubyGems, Fedora,
etc.

> 4. Consistency with the canonical Apache repository.
>

> The objections that I've seen:
>
> 1. github.com/deltacloud/deltacloud looks weird
>
> It's a very common pattern on github when the project outgrows a single programmer and
doesn't have a distinct organisation behind it.

> For example Rails, Django, jQuery, ember.js, angular, etc. all use the project_name/project_name
pattern.

> 2. It's too late to change it now
>
> This is a week old repository. According to GitHub there are 7 forks now plus a handful
of people who did `git clone`.

> Not to mention the change wasn't actually announced on the mailing list yet.
>
> Michal can change the name from the repository settings and this will keep the pull requests,
issues, wiki, etc. intact.

> The forks will automatically point to the new name, too.
>
> There are two thing that will need to be updated:
>
> a. the documentation
>
> This means the wiki page and the website. I'll be happy to help with that.
>
> b. local repositories' upstream remotes
>
> Everyone who cloned the core.git based on the wiki guide will have to run this locally:
>
>    git remote rm upstream
>    git remote add upstream https://github.com/deltacloud/deltacloud.git
>
> That's it. You can point folks on IRC at me for support.
>

> I think it will make things easier for everyone in the long run in exchange for a bit
of pain now.

> What do you think?
>
> Thomas
>
> [1]: https://github.com/deltacloud/core
> [2]: https://github.com/deltacloud/core/wiki/GIT-Workflow

I'm not in favor of renaming the repo but Thomas does make a few good points
so if the decision is made to change the name then it would be OK with me.

The one thing I would ask is that the name not be deltacloud/deltacloud but instead
deltacloud/deltacloud-core, or something of the like, to aid in distinguishing it from
the apache/deltacloud repo.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe V.