deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From "marios@redhat.com" <mandr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Bikeshedding: rename the repository on github from core to deltacloud
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 06:33:37 GMT
On 18/04/13 17:50, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Deltacloud now has a presence on GitHub[1] and the intent is to use it
> for contributions by accepting pull requests[2].
>
> The repository there is named "core" rather than "deltacloud" and I
> think it would be better if we renamed it back.
>
> tl;dr: it's consistent with the rest of the world and not so hard if we
> do it now.
>
> (contrary to the email subject, I don't want us bogged down with lengthy
> discussions here. A simple +1/-1 vote should be enough)
>

> Reasons for the rename:
>
> 1. In every other project anywhere (github, personal private repos,
> etc.) the repository name corresponds to the project name.
>
> The tooling assumes this. When you `git clone
> https://github.com/deltacloud/core.git`, the code will be in the `core`
> directory. Not `deltacloud/core` nor `deltacloud`.
>
> 2. It's easier to glance what the repository is about when one forks it
> on GitHub: `github.com/tomassedovic/deltacloud` is more descriptive than
> `github.com/tomassedovic/core`.
>
> 3. People may mistakenly assume that the repository contains the
> Deltacloud API server only, because when packaged, we ship
> deltacloud-core and deltacloud-client on RubyGems, Fedora, etc.
>
> 4. Consistency with the canonical Apache repository.
>

> The objections that I've seen:
>
> 1. github.com/deltacloud/deltacloud looks weird
>
> It's a very common pattern on github when the project outgrows a single
> programmer and doesn't have a distinct organisation behind it.
>
> For example Rails, Django, jQuery, ember.js, angular, etc. all use the
> project_name/project_name pattern.
>

> 2. It's too late to change it now
>
> This is a week old repository. According to GitHub there are 7 forks now
> plus a handful of people who did `git clone`.
>
> Not to mention the change wasn't actually announced on the mailing list
> yet.
>
> Michal can change the name from the repository settings and this will
> keep the pull requests, issues, wiki, etc. intact.
>
> The forks will automatically point to the new name, too.

I did not realise this - I assumed we'd have to re-clone and setup a new
repo for the name change. This addresses one of my concerns - i.e.
disruption so soon into this 'new' change.

As I've already said in discussions, on irc and during the community
call: I don't feel too strongly either way. I also don't have any strong
views on the name (within reason ;) ) so yeah, whatever. I guess that
means unless we get a bunch of -1 votes then the change will happen.

0 vote from me - abstain - I don't feel too strongly either way to make
a call

marios