deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From jvlcek <jvl...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: RHEVm - Allow for user selectable 1st boot device
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:43:51 GMT
On 04/04/2013 06:33 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 18:14 -0400, jvlcek@redhat.com wrote:
>> RHEVm - Provide for user selectable first boot device.
>>
>> The default first boot device has been changed in the rbovirt gem
>> to hard disk, followed by network. This push allows the user to
>> explicitly specify the first boot device as either network or
>> hard disk with the other becoming the second boot device.
>>
>> This patch addresses Jira DTACLOUD-514 and is tracked in:
>> http://tracker.deltacloud.org/set/412
> Since we require instances be based off an image, does network boot make
> sense in this context ? What role does the image/template play when one
> uses network boot ?
>
> David

David,

Thanks for the feedback but I'm not sure I understand your point.
Let me explain the reasoning behind this solution.

Up until now, when a user attempted to launch an image and
create a running instance, rbovirt was hard coded to set the
first boot device as network (PXE) and the 2nd boot device as
hard disk. This was a problem if a PXE server was serving
the network where the instance was being launched and
even when a PXE server wasn't available the boot time took
longer waiting for the PXE attempt to time out and fail
over to hard disk.

It does seem a bit odd to me that someone might want to
network boot a pre-built image. Is this the point you are
making?

I think  it might allow for a custom boot from a PXE
server without having to rebuild RHEVm images.

When this issue came up Michal and I discussed it and it
seemed to make sense to simply have the hard disk be
the default boot device but doing that left us concerned
for how to satisfy any fickle-minded customers that might
have taken advantage of the current network boot priority.

We decided to make the default be hard disk 1st and
allow any fickle minded users, who have come to expect
the network boot priority, to select it if they so desire.

Thoughts?

Joe