deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Main <im...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Adventures with oVirt
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 00:42:34 GMT
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 03:19:06PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 13:36 -0700, Ian Main wrote:
> > A possibly more overarching issue is hardware profiles.  Hardware profiles
> > are rather different in ovirt as compared to most other providers I've
> > worked with.  Generally they just define 2 profiles, neither of which
> > really define anything specific, instead the user is left to define how
> > much ram/cpus etc they want at instance creation.
> >
> > I have been thinking about it and I really think this is a very
> > different concept/usage pattern from most clouds which in turn makes
> > the API generally inconsistent.  In fact, I think deltacloud should
> > define a set of specific hardware profiles and then map them to the
> > native versions as best as possible (user configurable maybe?).
>
> I don't like the idea of DC mapping HWP; there's too much application
> policy in that. But there's two pretty easy things we can do:
>
>       * change the builtin HWP; I am pretty open to what good HWP for
>         RHEV-M are
>       * allow admins/whoever runs the DC server to define HWP by editing
>         the config file for the rhev-m driver (in
>         config/drivers/rhevm.yaml in git)
>
> Would either/both of these help make your life easier ?

Yes that would fix it for sure.  However if we require that admins have
to configure HWPs for rhevm in order to use heat then that will have to
be part of the steps for using it..  Not the end of the world but less
than ideal imo.

Could you not define defaults in the config that you can then edit?
This is what I am basically advocating.  That and they would all be the
same by default (same names, similar definitions accross providers).

    Ian