deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
Subject Fun with VSphere networking
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:29:36 GMT
Hi,

I started implementing networks for VSphere and run into (few) problems.
First, from what I can see there are two networking models in VSphere.

1. Vsphere Network

This is a basic network you usualy get when you install VSphere. The layout
is something very similar to what RHEV is doing with network. You have HW
network adapter mapped to 'Network'[1] entity and then this entity is
linked to VirtualMachine[2]. In this model, there is just one single
Network entity which is shared across models. Optionaly you can configure
the ipPool and it will assign IP address to instances from that pool.

Having this setup, you can't create new Networks (AFAIK) and you can do any
smart stuff like subnets or ports / etc.

2. DistributedVirtualSwitch

This setup is more similar to what Quantum does. The
DistributedVirtualSwitch[2] entity basically have pool of Networks,
PortGroups but i'm not sure about subnets.

To wrap this up. 2) is something we can expect in production systems.
It will take me some extra time to absorb all informations about DVS,
but I think we should go that way. Sadly I don't have access to any VSphere
setup that supports this DVS networking.

  -- Michal

[1] http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.wssdk.apiref.doc/vim.Network.html
[2] http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.wssdk.apiref.doc/vim.DistributedVirtualSwitch.html

--