deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:44:40 GMT
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM, David Lutterkort <lutter@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chip,
>>
>> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 00:43 -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
>>> I'm a member of the CloudStack project team, and was wondering if
>>> anyone has begun work on a CloudStack driver for Deltacloud?  David
>>> Lutterkort had replied to a tweet of mine 2 weeks ago, noting that
>>> this was still an area of opportunity for the project.
>>>
>>> If someone is working on it, I'd be willing to help.  If not, then I
>>> guess you can consider this me stepping in to offer to build it.
>>
>> No, nobody is working on a CloudStack driver; so we'd very gladly accept
>> your offer (and patches ;) I'd love to see a Cloudstack driver. Me and
>> the other core contributers will be more than happy to guide you through
>> that experience.
>>
>> Feel free to ask questions about what the driver is supposed to do (I am
>> sure you'll have many once you start working on the driver) here or on
>> #deltacloud on IRC.
>>
>> David
>
> It will be slow going at first, as my primary focus is on helping to
> get CloudStack to it's first ASF Incubator release.
>
> I think I've got very good example drivers to work off of, and I've
> already started to pull together the skeleton.  I'll certainly reach
> out as I make progress and hit the usual bumps in the road.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -chip

Hi all,

Dragging this old thread (wow, has it really been 5 months already?).

I'd like to get started working on an Apache CloudStack driver for
Deltacloud, and have a few questions / comments.

First, I believe that the documentation is clear enough about how to
add a driver (and there are plenty of good examples).  I'm sure I'll
have questions as I go, but I think there's a good starting point.

Second, in order to make it easier on myself, I just published a
cloudstack_ruby_client gem [1] that I'm licensing via ASLv2 (source at
[2]).  My plan is to keep that up to date, and actually use the
Deltacloud provider development as a way to fully test the client
library.  Are there any objections to me including this as a
dependency?  I do see that other providers make use of external client
libraries, so I'm assuming that this isn't a problem.

Last, I'm wondering if there are any "gotchas" for how to ensure that
a driver works correctly with the CIMI interface.  Is there a specific
driver that could serve as the best example of the functions that need
to be exposed for CIMI to work?  I did a search, but didn't come up
with anything in the docs that answers that question.  Perhaps I
missed it?

[1] https://rubygems.org/gems/cloudstack_ruby_client
[2] https://github.com/chipchilders/cloudstack_ruby_client