deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Tracking API changes more tightly
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:26:32 GMT
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM, David Lutterkort <lutter@redhat.com> wrote:
> We should try and track changes that affect the user-visible API more
> tightly. To make this possible, I suggest we put into the commit message
> (not the title line of the commit) a tag 'API-Change (CIMI|DC|EC2): ...'
>
> For example, for a commit that makes a change to the DC API:
>
>         Indicate behavior of root device for Image and HWP
>
>         .. more text about the commit ..
>
>         API-Change (DC): add root_type attribute to image and HWP
>
> That makes it possible to find such changes with 'git-log
> --grep=API-Change'
>
> David

Forgive my uneducated questions...  but here they are:

Would the intent be to coalesce the resulting changes into each
release's NEWS file during the release process?

Does Deltacloud use semver?  If so, does it consider the DC API to be
the focus of the backward compatibility for major version number
changes?

-chip