deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: split of mailing list
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:07:17 GMT
On 01/10, marios@redhat.com wrote:
> On 10/01/13 06:11, Koper, Dies wrote:
> > I noticed I received 80 e-mails from this mailing list in my Inbox since
> > Monday.
> > I'm very glad to see the increased activity!
> > But I can imagine Deltacloud users will consider that spam, especially
> > as most e-mails contain patches or tracker notifications. It also makes
> > it harder to find/follow discussions on functionality.
> >
> > I'd like to suggest we split up the mailing list according to message
> > purpose:
> > 1. dev@ for discussions (new functionality, changes to existing
> > functionality, questions from DC users);
> > 2. patches@ for patches, jira and tracker notifications.
> >
> > 1. will then generally contain threads that are permanently useful to
> > both us and DC users as reference, while 2. mainly contains messages
> > that are mostly important in their first few days (until ACK'ed), after
> > which they only serve as patch review history.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> imo this is a good idea; I'm pretty sure we've discussed this in the
> past, on at least one occasion. I can't remember why we didn't go
> through with it at the time.
>
> While we have this discussion - and until the admin side is sorted (if
> we decided to go ahead with the split - or someone reminds us why we
> didn't do this yet) - why don't you try some mail rules/filters (e.g.
> one subfolder for 'tracker' and one for 'jira') - this isn't the most
> user friendly approach but could help with the mail overload for now,

I think we have this solution before we moved to ASF. We had
deltacloud-users list and deltacloud-devel list. Problem was that the
users list was very low traffic (basically 1 mail per month).

I would prefer to use filters/folder to filter out JIRA and tracker
mails. Also I think JIRA could be configured to not spam the mailing
list and just send mails about issues that your are subscribed to.

But I have no problems with creating a new mailing list as well,
if others think it will be benefitial.

  -- Michal

--
Michal Fojtik <mfojtik@redhat.com>