deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Dario Garcia Gasulla <dar...@lsi.upc.edu>
Subject Re: Java REST Client
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 18:18:27 GMT
El 20/12/12 15:15, André Dietisheim escribió:
> Hi Marios, Hi Dario
>
> yes, indeed, I implemented this client until 2011 when we had the
> Eclipse tooling in JBoss Tools. Unfortunately I then had to switch
> over to some other project and no time left to maintain the code.
> I also had no chance to check anything with deltacloud since then. I
> really can't tell you if it's still 100% functional against latest DC
> server. There is a large test-suite with integration tests that should
> tell you fairly quickly though:
>
> https://github.com/apache/deltacloud/blob/master/clients/java/org.apache.deltacloud.client.test/src/org/apache/deltacloud/client/internal/test/DeltaCloudClientIntegrationTestSuite.java

Cool, I'll run this ASAP (along next week) to know the current state,
and I'll post the results here so you can get an idea of how is it right
now.
Be as it may, so far it seems to work just fine.

> Feel free to ping me if you face any problems, questions. I'd be glad
> to help if I can.

Right now there are several things I wonder about the code. I've been
capable of figuring out some of them, but not all. If you could help me
out with the first one, that would be great.

    -When performing an Action, I set the name (e.g., STOP_NAME) and the
url from the instance to stop (e.g., instance.getPublicAddress().get(0)).
This url is of the form: "ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.compute-1.amazonaws.com",
however I get the following error:
            Could not connect to
"ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xx.compute-1.amazonaws.com". The url is invalid.
            Caused by: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.compute-1.amazonaws.com
What protocol does this library use? Should I concatenate it at the
beginning of the url? The address is ok, since I can ping it.

    -When calling the method to perform an Action, it returns an
InputStream. What is that stream used for?

    -Why is Action<OWNER> defined as Raw type?

Regarding marios question:

interesting... how are you tackling the issue of pricing for example?
Like many clouds don't expose pricing info via the API (aws only started
supporting this recently if i recall correctly) - will you be
maintaining some kind of persistence layer with pricing info?

We are not currently working on the pricing, but eventually we'll have to.
The idea was to define some scheduler with AI heuristics on it which can
choose at each time the most cost-efficient provider for each job. I'm
an AI PhD student after all.
If we can get that information from an API we'll have to store it
manually and provide an interface to update that information (we can't
do anything else, can we?). But that's still a few months away.

Thanks for your time,
Dario.