deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: DC's use of CIMI extensions
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:53:36 GMT
On 12/10, Doug Davis wrote:

> All,
>   CIMI says:  Each resource in the CIMI model has an attribute called
> "properties." Consumers, when creating or updating a resource, may store
> any name/value pair in the "properties" attribute. CIMI Providers shall
> store and return these values to the Consumer. There is no obligation for
> the Provider to understand or take any action based on these values; they
> are there for the Consumer's convenience. Providers shall not add elements
> to this "properties" attribute.

So if I understand this properly, we should not add 'machine_image' and
'credential' to the machine properties if client does not set them upon
machine creation time or machine update.

I'm currently working on different scenario:

1. In Deltacloud API we have 'realms' that maps to 'Cluster' in oVirt or
   'Datastore' in VSphere or the 'Zone' in EC2 (us-west1, etc..).
   When creating Machine using CIMI, I was not able to find any 'matching'
   entity that we can use.

So we plan to use this 'workaround':

2. Consumer create a new MachineTemplate with:
   <property key='realm_id'>us-west1</property>

3. Consumer then create new Machine using that MachineTemplate

4. Provider then parse 'realm_id' property and launch the Machine in
   corrent zone/cluster/datastore.

Is this correct, or there is a better way how to do it?

  -- Michal

> DC returns for /machines:
> <Machine><property key="credential">
> http://api.deltacloud.org/cimi/credentials</property><property