deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: MAC address access in vsphere
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:50:16 GMT

On Nov 21, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Xavier Naveira <xavier.naveira@ongame.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To keep reporting the MAC address sounds like an excellent solution, I would be very
happy if you implement it :)

> Let me know if I can help in any way.

Can you pls fill a JIRA ticket for it? :-) Would be easier to track that
issue in future.

Implementing it is not a problem, I will have patch in few hours (minutes ;-), then
we can discuss about the actual implementation.

Cheers,

  -- Michal

> Xavier
>
> On 11/21/2012 11:36 AM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
>> On Nov 21, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Xavier Naveira <xavier.naveira@ongame.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Xavier,
>>
>> This is actually a very good catch. We do advertise the MAC address because in time
between
>> instance guest tools report the IP address to VSPhere we don't know what the real
IP address is.

>> How about this:
>>
>> <public_addresses>
>>   <address type="mac">3c:97:0e:1b:3b:82</address>
>>   <address type="ipv4">10.0.0.1</address>
>> </public_addresses>
>>
>> I mean we can just keep reporting the MAC address. Also I think we can do the same
>> for RHEV-M and for the OpenStack.
>>
>> I can't see anything that we could possibly break with this, because it is just addition.
>> But might be I'm wrong :-)
>>
>>  -- Michal
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a feature suggestion that I think shouldn't be that hard to add (assumption
that's probably wrong :) )

>>> I'm using deltacloud with vsphere. regarding the network addresses it seems that
only the public addresses field is used.

>>> This field is populated with the mac address of the machine when the machine
is started but doesn't get an ip address from a dhcp server.

>>> As soon a dhcp server offers and ip address and the machine accepts it the mac
address is replaced with the ip address in the public addresses field.

>>> This is a problem because the macaddress information disappears from deltacloud
and there is no way to retrieve it once the machine has gotten an ip address from dhcp.

>>> Would it be possible to add a field/use the private addresses field to store
the mac address permanently? How is this managed in the other drivers?

>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Xavier
>>
>> Michal Fojtik
>> http://deltacloud.org