deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: MAC address access in vsphere
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:36:41 GMT
On Nov 21, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Xavier Naveira <xavier.naveira@ongame.com> wrote:

Hi Xavier,

This is actually a very good catch. We do advertise the MAC address because in time between
instance guest tools report the IP address to VSPhere we don't know what the real IP address
is.

How about this:

<public_addresses>
  <address type="mac">3c:97:0e:1b:3b:82</address>
  <address type="ipv4">10.0.0.1</address>
</public_addresses>

I mean we can just keep reporting the MAC address. Also I think we can do the same
for RHEV-M and for the OpenStack.

I can't see anything that we could possibly break with this, because it is just addition.
But might be I'm wrong :-)

 -- Michal

> Hi,
>
> I have a feature suggestion that I think shouldn't be that hard to add (assumption that's
probably wrong :) )

> I'm using deltacloud with vsphere. regarding the network addresses it seems that only
the public addresses field is used.

> This field is populated with the mac address of the machine when the machine is started
but doesn't get an ip address from a dhcp server.

> As soon a dhcp server offers and ip address and the machine accepts it the mac address
is replaced with the ip address in the public addresses field.

> This is a problem because the macaddress information disappears from deltacloud and there
is no way to retrieve it once the machine has gotten an ip address from dhcp.

> Would it be possible to add a field/use the private addresses field to store the mac
address permanently? How is this managed in the other drivers?

> Thank you!
>
> Xavier

Michal Fojtik
http://deltacloud.org