deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Florin Ardelian <f.ardel...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating the ProfitBricks driver
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:50:13 GMT
Hi folks,

I began work on the ProfitBricks driver, but I had to halt because I found
an inconsistency between the common models implemented by Deltacloud and
the ProfitBricks model. ProfitBricks defines physical data centers as
"regions" (currently EUROPE and NORTH_AMERICA), but it also reserves "data
centers" for virtual data centers which users can define in any region they
want. All virtual resources must be placed in a virtual data center. For
example, a user can create two virtual data centers in the EUROPE region
and one in the NORTH_AMERICA region, each with their own servers, storages
and firewalls.

>From what I have seen, Deltacloud uses the term "realm" to define a
physical data center. This is the equivalent of "region" used by both
Amazon and ProfitBricks. The problem with ProfitBricks is that if a user
wants to create a resource in a region, he must put that resource in a
virtual data center that belongs to that same region. For example, if a
user wants to create a ProfitBricks server in NORTH_AMERICA, he must first
create a virtual data center in NORTH_AMERICA and then create his server in
that virtual data center.

What can I do to account for the missing step? Any tips on how I should
begin to implement these virtual data centers? Would this involve adding
support for a new driver feature, maybe called :virtual_datacenters or
something similar?

Thanks,
Florin