deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Xavier Naveira <xavier.nave...@ongame.com>
Subject Re: MAC address access in vsphere
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:45:08 GMT
Hi,

To keep reporting the MAC address sounds like an excellent solution, I
would be very happy if you implement it :)

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Xavier

On 11/21/2012 11:36 AM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Xavier Naveira <xavier.naveira@ongame.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Xavier,
>
> This is actually a very good catch. We do advertise the MAC address because in time between
> instance guest tools report the IP address to VSPhere we don't know what the real IP
address is.

> How about this:
>
> <public_addresses>
>    <address type="mac">3c:97:0e:1b:3b:82</address>
>    <address type="ipv4">10.0.0.1</address>
> </public_addresses>
>
> I mean we can just keep reporting the MAC address. Also I think we can do the same
> for RHEV-M and for the OpenStack.
>
> I can't see anything that we could possibly break with this, because it is just addition.
> But might be I'm wrong :-)
>
>   -- Michal
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a feature suggestion that I think shouldn't be that hard to add (assumption
that's probably wrong :) )

>> I'm using deltacloud with vsphere. regarding the network addresses it seems that
only the public addresses field is used.

>> This field is populated with the mac address of the machine when the machine is started
but doesn't get an ip address from a dhcp server.

>> As soon a dhcp server offers and ip address and the machine accepts it the mac address
is replaced with the ip address in the public addresses field.

>> This is a problem because the macaddress information disappears from deltacloud and
there is no way to retrieve it once the machine has gotten an ip address from dhcp.

>> Would it be possible to add a field/use the private addresses field to store the
mac address permanently? How is this managed in the other drivers?