deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: VMWare vlan choice
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 20:56:44 GMT
On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:12 +0200, Xavier Naveira wrote:
> I was suggested by marios on the irc channel to post my question/feature
> request here.
>
> I need to be able to create a number of machines in different vlans via
> deltacloud-vmware
>
> Until now what I've been doing is to have one VMWare template for every
> vlan and then creating machines on that vlan by cloning the
> corresponding template.
>
> The problem is that if the number of vlans is elevated the update and
> management of the templates becomes complicated.
>
> I would like to be able to specify the destination vlan of the clone
> instead so I would only need to have one template. Both specifying the
> vlan on instance creation or afterwards would work for me.
>
> Let me know if there is anything I can help you with regarding this
> question.

We've done something like this for EC2, where we list subnets in VPC's
as separate realms, and you can launch instance's into these subnets by
selecting the appropriate realm.

I am not sure if this would be a good solution for vSphere; depends,
e.g. on how many vlans people typically have. We could of course also go
to managing networks explicitly and making 'network' an add'l parameter
for the create instance call.

Do the VM's you launch into a vlan only have one NIC, or is it necessary
to talk about multiple NIC's and connect those to different vlans ?

David