deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Deltacloud - VMWare performance
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:06:32 GMT
Hi Xavier,

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 10:19 +0200, Xavier Naveira wrote:
> I hope that I'm not completely offtopic here but I'm implementing a
> django application that uses deltacloud to retrieve data from a vSphere
> 5.1 installation. Everything is working fine but I find that the time it
> takes to get info about the instances and the instance list itself is
> too long to be used in as "online polling" from my web application.
> Maybe it's a bit naive of me to ask but, is there any plans on improving
> performance of this queries? Maybe it depends on the VMWare hosts poor
> performace... Is there any tip on caching or paralleling or something
> else achievable in python to improve performance on my side?

what operations exactly are slow ? Are you listing all VM's or just
looking up the details of specific VM's ? Do you have any comparisons
between how long these operations take via Deltacloud and via the
vSphere API directly ?

Also, how do you have the various pieces deployed ? To avoid additional
network overhead, your Deltacloud server should either be running close
to your vSphere installation or close to your app in terms of network
topology.

It might well be that there are things we can do in the vSphere driver
to speed things up, but we'd need some more details.

David