deltacloud-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Cardoso <ti...@restorm.com>
Subject Dev Questions concerning API
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 06:55:43 GMT
Greetings,

I'm a fellow developer for another company. Recently I started developing a
web API for our current project, and I decided to choose Sinatra as
framework. Recently we came across an issue which you might have already
resolved in your implementation, and since you already have shipped the
product, I thought it would be wise to ask somebody with experience on the
subject. So, the issue is the following:

There are two applications, the web App and the API. Both of them interact
with the same data storage. Our current version has 2 separate
implementations of the ORM (which basically are the same) in the two
projects which have to be maintained. That means, in our further
development, in order to change/add/remove logic on one implementation, one
has to mirror that action in the other. Specially in big teams, this might
lead to inconsistent implementations. We would like to avoid that. I've
seen some recommended solutions for this sort of issue (bundle the ORM
implementation from one side as a gem, git sub modules, etc...) and I would
like to know which path did you follow, since you already have an API live
and had to somehow circumvent this.

Any sort of recommendation will be very much cherished. I hope I'm not
making you break any secrecy policy you might have at your company.

Best Regards,
Tiago